Dreams About Falling: Meaning Of Falling Dreams

Falling dreams are the most frequent among all the common dreams we experience in our lifetime. Researchers say the average human will experience falling in a dream up to five times in their lives.

These vivid nightmares often revolve the dream Falling, Slipping, Jumping or Being Pushed from high above ground. Researchers tend to believe falling in dreams may be a result from a natural disorder called Parasomnias, whereas dream analyst feel it is to do with not being grounded.

12306206-Businessman-falling-from-a-tall-building-Stock-Photo

Reasons For Falling Dreams

A phenomenon called Hypnagogia is a common yet natural experience that occurs during the transition state between wakefulness and sleep. Similar to the state experienced from sleep paralysis, falling in dreams is considered a “hypnagogic state” known to make the dreamer feel like they are actually falling.

According to the American Academy of Sleep say there are many reasons why one experiences these disturbances. One theory suggests falling dreams are connected to what is taking place in our waking life. Whenever we dream of falling we have lost control in some aspect in our life that needs to be identified. Possibly a metaphor for a need to be  grounded or lost touch with reality.

• afraid of losing your job
  • connecting to relationships
  • not having control in a situation
  • lack of confidence
  • embarrassed that you wouldn’t make the cut
  • your not in control of your destiny
  • hitting rock bottom
  • insecurity
  • need proper grounding
  • spiritual grounding

Falling In Dreams & Waking Up

Hypnagogic jerks are involuntary muscle spasm that occurs right before you go to sleep or just walking up. Researchers say that these consistent, yet strong  unexpected contractions happen up to 70 percent of sleepers. However not all falling sensations will force you out of sleep, most go unnoticed sleeping right through them.

Also known as hypnic jerks or sleep starts which are accompanied by hallucinations; sensations of falling, bright lights and exploding head syndrome. Some scientist believe certain factors, such as stress, anxiety, fatigue, caffeine and sleep deprivation, may increase the frequency or severity of hypnic jerks.

Another scientific take on this is when the brain sends electrical signals to muscles to test for this paralysis, but it has not yet kicked in. However this mystery still remains inconclusive.

Another popular theory takes a more evolutionary approach to falling dreams, suggesting that the jerks are an ancient primate reflex to the relaxation of muscles just before sleep — the brain essentially misinterprets the relaxation as a warning connecting to the primate falling off of the tree. This causes the brain to react quickly by sending signals to the muscles.

How To Stop Falling Sensations

• avoid caffeine
  • do not oversleep
  • reduce stress
  • mediation
  • avoid stimulants
  • check medications for symptoms

Falling Dreams

#1. Losing Balance In Dream Meaning?

Dreams of losing balance are metaphoric in nature reminding you of your own lack of balance in life. Currently you may be unstable as you need proper grounding – a need to explore areas where you may be vulnerable or slipping that will cause a disturbance. The location and the people around you might give you a hint of what to look out for.

#2. Pushed In Dream?

A common dream is we are pushed by either an unknown person or someone you may currently know. These dreams are symbolic showing you that a person might be responsible for this lack of control or possibly yourself.

If you are unable to see the face of the person that pushed you might be connected to the shadow side of your personality. This is your neglected side or the unknown part that pushes you to your own troubles.

If you were pushing yourself to please other for example, this dream might be appropriate. If it was someone you may know they could be the person responsible or a reflection of someone who carries these similar traits.

This dream would imply you might be pushed to your limits. You could be a push over suggesting being to agreeable. Someone might catch you off guard.

#3. Lost Grip In Dream?

Trying to hold on for your dear life in your dream is a common occurrence. These dreams suggest a need for grounding in your life. You might feel a lack of control and it is unconsciously affecting your path.

You might want to explore different areas in your life where you feel you are just hanging on; or if you feel someone has the upper hand on you. You might need some more support in your life as you may experience a lack of control.

#4. Holding or Slipping In Dream

Holding on for dear life in your dream suggests that you are trying your best to fix a situation you may have no control over. This can either be with a relationship, friends or even your family.  It could also be connected to your emotions as you are trying to hold on before you crash.

Slipping and plummeting to your death is a quite a scary experience.  Slipping to your death suggests that you will eventually “slip up” in a particular situation that will cause emotional distress. Where you able to regain your grip? Did you fall to the ground? Where was your location? How did you feel when you slipped?

Trying to hold on for dear life at the edge or balancing on a cliff implies possible danger. Could it imply you live on the edge, or maybe you make risky decisions; hence being on the edge.  It’s quite possible you need some grounding physically and spiritually.

#6. Falling From A Building Dream

Buildings appear in our dream as things that have been previously built, metaphorically speaking relating to a new idea or project. It may also relate to your belief system, relationships, ideas, projects that has been “built” by you in the past. Falling from a building in your dream represents a loss of control or abandonment.

#7. Somebody Falling In Dreams

You might see the person who is falling as a metaphor for losing them in a particular way. You may feel the person is out of your control, or some other force has affected them. You might be witnessing distress from other people around you in your life.

Finding out who was with you, your emotional state and location are all clues to better decode the dream. If you feel helpless then it might imply you are not in control in helping others in danger.

#8. Falling Down A Staircase Dream

Stairs are symbolic in the sense as they show us advancement or progress in our lives. In this case falling down the stairs suggest you may experience a setback or delay in this area. If it was in your house could represent your mind/psyche in some personal development.

#9. Falling in water

Dreams about falling in water bring our attention to our emotional state of mind.  There could be a loss of control or unwillingly plunging into a part of yourself that makes you apprehensive.

#10. Landing at the bottom

This could suggest an ending of some sort of your life. Something where you might need to get to the bottom of things. Do you feel that you might hit rock bottom in life? Could this relate to your job or relationship?

Remembering how you fell on the ground can suggest what needs to be fixed in your life. If you fell on your back implies that you need more support in your life. If you fell on your hands means that you need more of a hand with people that are close to you.

If you fell in water means that you are emotionally breaking down and need to address your problem asap.

Spiritual Meaning Falling From Dreams

If you had the ability to land on your feet after the fall reflects overcoming a obstacle in your life. Falling then gliding yourself to safety shows you will find another way out of the difficult situation. Find out how to stop falling in your dream (r).

Quotes

“People who fall the hardest, bounce back the highest.” – Nishan Panwar.
“Just because we fell one time doesn’t mean we can’t get up and let our light shine.”
“When real people fall down in life, they get right back up and keep walking.

Falling dreams should never be overlooked especially if they are recurring. This dream could be unconsciously hinting at our insecurities and our beliefs in life . Though all falling dreams are not always bad symbols, but indications for us to open to change that is taking place.

Sometimes we need to hit rock bottom before we start a new stage. Dreams of this nature alert us to becoming more cognizant of our actions and behaviors in our life.

Famous dream analyst Carl Jung stated that falling is a warning as being too high in life, trying to impress others. This would be referring to the comparison to one’s neighbor as a benchmark for social class, or the accumulation of material goods. To fall in the dream would be perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.

Starr Struckk
Starr Struckk
9 years ago

I had a dream that I was falling into a sewer, and then my cousin saved me. I think it had something to do with the recent lost of a loved one, because I was very close to her and he was there for me through it all.

Richelle Paragas
Richelle Paragas
9 years ago

I had a dream, I was inside a car with someone that I don’t know but in my dream.. I felt like I know him and I was happy with him, then we fell from road. I was so scared then he said its his surprise. Afterwards I fell down on a nice spa, with small private pool good for 2 people only, we were not alone many couples also are there… was does it mean? I am actually married please advise me.

Trisha
Trisha
9 years ago

my reccuring dream is when i am in the car with my family and the harbor bridge starts to collapse everyone gets out the car but me cause my door was locked then i fall into the sea while i am trapped in the car and i die cause im drowning i have always wondered what that dream means can anyone tell me

Snowyclaw
9 years ago

I’m always on a canyon… I’m climbing and the ground crumbles from under me and I fall for what feels like eternity… When I hit the ground I’m crushed… Pressed from everywhere… I become nothing.

My guess at what it means? I’m afraid of the unknown. I’m afraid that what I’m building for my self is all wrong. I’m afraid of where my life will lead. I’m pressured to be someone else, by society and my friends. I’m afraid I’ll be forgotten, left alone, never remembered. No one will read this and no one will care.

Laura
Laura
9 years ago

I have a dream about four nights before a show and it’s always the same dream but one thing changes slightly , I dream that I get pushed off the stage and I land directly on my back , it’s quite dark around me but I can hear people laughing at me . Then a dark figure loomes over me but over the nights the figure becomes more distinctive but I never get to see who’s looking over me :/ could someone help me ?

Miso12xD
9 years ago

I had a dream of pushing my self of the balcony falling front words and I was about to land on my head and on the last millimeter I woke up. Help?

zae
zae
9 years ago

for a long time that i can pin point when it started i have been dreaming about falling.i canliterally feel the pain in my dreams and it hurts.but it doesnt wake me up.i wake up normal and remember this stuff.i do have issues in my life.ive been on a mission to find my calling/career.i studied college somethign that i have grown interest out of.so yeah i have had troubling thoughts of rediscovering myself.after reading this article i guess that would be my reason for the dreams. but its just crazy how real my dream feels when im falling.mostly my chest… Read more »

rus
rus
9 years ago

i fell from about 3 stories up….again! i woke up with a pounding chest. wednesday, i finished a bag of some of the most potent weed ive ever smoked, which i had started saturday. it must be from california, im not sure. this morning i have to go to court and im sure that has something to do with my nightmare. these dreams always start off okay, then suddenly i find myself falling but not too great of a fall. its always about a distance that i feel will leave me in a hospital and might kill me. As if… Read more »

Leah
Leah
9 years ago

So, I’m going through some rough stuff in my relationship. I cheated on my boyfriend.. I feel really horrible about it and he dumped me. Last night in my dream I was in some weird colorful river? Then I somehow ended up on this huge bridge and I was chasing after my friend, who is a guy. But then all of the sudden the bridge wasn’t there and I slid like a baseball player to the edge. Then I held onto the bridge with one hand, then I slipped and started falling. And I couldn’t breath, it was like someone… Read more »

Sam
Sam
Reply to  Leah
9 years ago

I’ve dreamed I felt like I was on a zipline, then it dissapeared and I was falling from the clouds onto a forest of green trees, but I wake up before I hit the trees. I have this dream monthly, please help?

anoymous
9 years ago

i have dreams where i’m in some dark place then while i’m falling i can see a weird black floor and then i land on my shoulder and wake up huffing & puffing what can this mean, can anybody help.

xaexae
9 years ago

i have falling dreams often and im only 12 years old, like a couple of mintues before i go to a deep sleep i have a falling dream that i fall of a cliff but i dont dream enough to hit the ground i jump hard but i dont know why im keep having these dream please help me i really dont know what these means PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

makiyah chardae
makiyah chardae
9 years ago

i really rarely have any dreams and wen i do im allways falling and if im not falling im having dreams about somebody,., there all wierd and im seriouse wen i say i dnt have any dreams i try to tell people and they be like ur crazy you have dreams you jhust dnt remember and that i dnt know any thing becuse im jhust 13..if thts the case thn why do i only remember the wierd onez?an example of a wierd one was i was sleeping n my bed (i sawl my self sleeping in my dream) and my… Read more »

Knly
Knly
9 years ago

Well when I was little I had a dream that I fell in a place like a volcano and I was running friend something and just last years had a dream just like it and what dose it mean

HaleyBabai
HaleyBabai
9 years ago

Whenever i have these dreams, I’m never falling off of anything. I literally fall asleep falling and I just keep falling until my alarm goes off. I can’t wake up no matter how hard I try. I think one time I actually hit the ground and it was so painful that I woke myself up into having a full on seizure. I hit my head. But it was terrible. I just wanted it to end. Now whenever I have these dreams I can control what way I’m falling. But it’s just in a deep dark abyss. No surrounding physical features.… Read more »

steve white
9 years ago

i had a dream where i was on this balcony really really high up in the air and their was a guy tryna hurt me..so i jumped over the side backwards and fell with my back faceing the ground and in my dream i imagined myself engolfed in a really bright white light..and told my self ile never hit the bottom. and that ile float to the ground very slowly. i then found my self gently laying in the grass from were i fell…it was pretty awesome actually…i wasnt afraid or anything. was pure peacefulness

joe
joe
9 years ago

I’ve had falling dreams for a long time. Then one night, I gave in to it and let myself fall. I fell through the ground, the flew out again and flew into the sky. It was more exhilarating than any experience I’ve had in a dream. Now I look forward to falling dreams. It’s more like flying now. Through the sky, through buildings, through the ground. I never get hurt! It’s unbelievable. When I wake up, I’m out of breath and wishing I was still dreaming! It’s had an impact on my waking life. When I feel fear or anxiety,… Read more »

Lucy
Lucy
9 years ago

i have a falling dream where im either pushed or i have slipped of the white cliffs of dover. its like there is a crowd of people just watching me fall, and pionting and laughing at me, its as if they want me to die or im doing some flip into the sea. i dont understand why i have this dream. because sometimes i see the beging like im driving fine and it just takes me there. but then i see like me being on the news saying braking news, a young 19 year old has traggicly died whilst plumiting,… Read more »

Mw
Mw
9 years ago

Once i had this dream were i was swinging on a tire swing.It was VERY HIGH. I suddenly fell/floated to the ground.when i was almost to the ground,I suddenly woke up.

Sarah
Sarah
9 years ago

I dreamt that my mum, brother and myself where in a car, parked on top of a building looking at the sunset down on the beach near where my mum was driving, me and my brother where in the back of the car and when we went to reverse the brakes failed an the car rolled off the edge an started falling towards rocks on the beach… Any ideas what this means?

anonymous
anonymous
9 years ago

its kinda weird because i had a dream when i was falling in scholl in was a flight of stairs but i was not pushed i guess i slipped and fell the flight of stars. when i fell it felt so real like i never had a night mare like this before. this felt so real. the emotion i felt felt so much scared and hopless like i had no control. but the wierd thing is when i woke up i turned to the left side of my bed and i felt like someting was watching me. like something evil… Read more »

Missy
Missy
Reply to  anonymous
9 years ago

I had just went to bed and fell asleep fast. I had the falling dream and hit the ground and woke up. My husband said I jumped when I woke. This morning my back hurts badly like it is out of place. It was vivid.

Leela
Leela
Reply to  anonymous
2 years ago

When I was growing up I use to be like someone watching . Some one say to me say the 23 psalm over n over n keep concentrating on the words . I started to feel very relax n fear went away . I do get scare seldom . But it works all the time .