Sleepwalking also known as somnambulism is a sleep disorder that is categorized with the parasomina family.… Sleepwalkers do activities that they would normally do in walking life while being asleep (ex shower, make food walk the dog etc…) Sleep walking effects roughly around 10% of the general population.… On occasion many people who experience sleepwalking will mumble or talk with their eyes wide open.… There eyes are described as “Glossy” and somewhat scary cause they look right through you.… Sleep walking is most prevalent during adolecence stages and during pubery.… Up to 20% of kids will experience sleepwalking.
Why Do People Sleepwalk?
There is a whole list of factors on why some people sleepwalk.… Sleep walking occours when some areas of your brain are fast asleep and other parts are active.… The parts of your brain that’s active when you sleepwalk are the ones that control your walking and speech.… Sleep walking usually occurs in NREM (Non Rapid Eye Movement) this is when your brain waves are not that busy and slowed down.… Sleepwalking all depends on your environmental, genetic, medical and physiological factors.
If either your Mom or Dad experiences sleep walking its a greater possibility that the gene was past down to you.… Also identical twins are 10 times more likely to sleepwalk if a first degree relative has the same problem as well.
Depending on some sleepwalkers environmental situations it causes them to sleep walk. Below are some examples of environmental conditions that cause sleepwalking in the night.
– High amounts of stress
– Large consumption of alcohol
– Sleep Deprivation
– Taking certian types of drugs such as sedatives,antihistamines and stimulants can increaces the chances of sleepwalking
It has been known that serious medical conditions increase the chance to sleepwalk at night. Below here are some of the reasons why you might sleepwalk due to medical factors.
– High fever
– People who experience night-time convulsions (fits)
– Magnesium deficiency
If you suffer from some psychological conditions are at greater risk to… sleepwalk during the middle of the night.… If you sleepwalk and have medical or psychological problems please contact your physician.
– Psychiatric disorders such as… PTSD (Post Tramatic Stress Disorder)
– Anxiety or… panic attacks,
– Multiple personality disorder
– Hereditary might run in your family
– Women who are pregnant and during menstruation
– Increased depth of slow wave sleep
What Do Sleepwalkers Do When Asleep?
Sleepwalking can be very scary but interesting at the same time. People have been known to drive to work and have conversations with people in there walking life and not but fully aware of it. There has been some cases that people have reported murdering somebody in there sleep. Take a look below at some of the fascinating stuff i am sure you didn’t know that sleepwalkers do when they are asleep:
– Taking baths and showers
– Brushing teeth putting on gel
– Call people on the phone
– Making food or sandwich for work
– Moving things around the house ex. moving tables, pictures etc..
– Walking and feeding there pets
– Driving there car or motorbike
– Dressing up for the day
– Attacking people in or outside the house
– Walking around the neighbourhood
– Watering the lawn
– Going inside other peoples houses
How To Tell If Someone Is Sleep Walking?
– Odd movements. May get up and seek out of a window
– They will get up and walk quietly around the room or house maybe talking or mumbling.
-… May seem clumsy and fumble around objects
-… Eyes wide open with a glassy look to them.
-… Most people cant tell when one is sleepwalking.
-… Adolesence can snap out of a sleepwalking faster than adults
-… They would repeat behaviours over and over.
-… Having a temper tantrum, throwing objects
Ways To Stop Sleepwalking:
-Taking a full 8 hours of sleep everynight with no inturuptions
– Meditate or take yoga before you go to bed to relax the mind”
-… Stay away from caffine or alcohol for the time being
-… Just for safety hide all sharpe objects and lock all windows in your room.
When Do You Seek Medical Help For Sleepwalking?
Sleepwalking for the most part is harmless and natural part of life.… People who experience sleepwalking will tend to have a lack of sleep or is under heavy amounts of stress.… Once stress levels taper off you will notice that it disapperars.… … … Though sleepwalking can become dangerous when the person starts to become violent.… There has been many reported cases where family or even neighbours have been attacked. Any harm to others or to oneself you might want to contact a sleep consultant.