Dreams can be fascinating, exciting, scary, sexy, or just downright bizarre. While many have theories on why we dream no one yet has come up with an answer.
Whether you remember your dreams or not, you actually dream every night. In fact, everybody dreams it’s just some remember while others don’t. We spend one third of our lives sleeping and dreaming as it has become a normal part of our lives.
Here are 30 surprising facts about dreams, ranging from interesting to the stuff of nightmares.
30 Interesting Dream Facts
- Every human dreams. There are tons of people who can’t remember their dreams when they wake up, but they still get them.
- Human beings spend roughly around 6 years of their lifetime dreaming.
- Sometimes we dream outside of our REM sleep (rapid eye movement)
- Thousands of years ago, the Egyptians were the first to create a dream dictionary in 4000 B.C.E.
- We roughly spend around 1/3 of our lives sleeping.
- People who suffer from a personality disorder lack dream activity
- Our brains tend to be way more active when we sleep, than when we’re awake
- Humans tend to have around 3 to 7 dreams a night.
- 90% of the dream is lost the first minute we wake up.
- Men tend to dream about men more than women, and women dream about people of both genders.
- Drug withdrawal can cause more intense dreams. People who also quit alcohol and smoking experience heavier dreams and nightmares.
- You can lucid dream for up to 30 minutes if trained properly.
- It’s impossible to dream when you’re snoring.
- Babies don’t dream of themselves until they reach the age of three.
- More women than men experience deja-vu in their dreams.
- People who experience Sleep Paralysis hear voices and see strangers in their rooms.
- Nightmares happen more to kids (night terrors) than adults.
- Blind people dream. Their dreams are auditory if they were born blind. If they became blind at an early age, they still dream of what they remember.
- Did you know around 100 000 drivers a year crash going in and out of sleep in their cars.
- Thousands of people suffer from sleep apnea in America.
- Men get erections in their REM sleep and women have an increased blood flow to their vaginas.
- You can translate over 5000 dream symbols.
- The word “nightmare” was used a long time ago for a female spirit who besets people at night while sleeping.
- On average, dogs sleep around 10 to 13 hours a day.
- The colder your house is, the worse your dreams are. They say that if your room is at an average temperature, you have better sleeps.
- Your body burns more calories sleeping than it does in the day time.
- Information that we learn before we go to bed tends to stick with us longer than information any other time.
- On average cats sleep 10 to 15 hours a day.
- If you avoid your sleep for more than 10 days you will die.
- A giraffe sleeps for only 2 hours a day.