Dreams About Falling: Meaning Of Falling Dreams

Falling dreams are the most frequent among all the common dreams we experience in our lifetime. Researchers say the average human will experience falling in a dream up to five times in their lives.

These vivid nightmares often revolve the dream Falling, Slipping, Jumping or Being Pushed from high above ground. Researchers tend to believe falling in dreams may be a result from a natural disorder called Parasomnias, whereas dream analyst feel it is to do with not being grounded.

12306206-Businessman-falling-from-a-tall-building-Stock-Photo

Reasons For Falling Dreams

A phenomenon called Hypnagogia is a common yet natural experience that occurs during the transition state between wakefulness and sleep. Similar to the state experienced from sleep paralysis, falling in dreams is considered a “hypnagogic state” known to make the dreamer feel like they are actually falling.

According to the American Academy of Sleep say there are many reasons why one experiences these disturbances. One theory suggests falling dreams are connected to what is taking place in our waking life. Whenever we dream of falling we have lost control in some aspect in our life that needs to be identified. Possibly a metaphor for a need to be  grounded or lost touch with reality.

• afraid of losing your job
  • connecting to relationships
  • not having control in a situation
  • lack of confidence
  • embarrassed that you wouldn’t make the cut
  • your not in control of your destiny
  • hitting rock bottom
  • insecurity
  • need proper grounding
  • spiritual grounding

Falling In Dreams & Waking Up

Hypnagogic jerks are involuntary muscle spasm that occurs right before you go to sleep or just walking up. Researchers say that these consistent, yet strong  unexpected contractions happen up to 70 percent of sleepers. However not all falling sensations will force you out of sleep, most go unnoticed sleeping right through them.

Also known as hypnic jerks or sleep starts which are accompanied by hallucinations; sensations of falling, bright lights and exploding head syndrome. Some scientist believe certain factors, such as stress, anxiety, fatigue, caffeine and sleep deprivation, may increase the frequency or severity of hypnic jerks.

Another scientific take on this is when the brain sends electrical signals to muscles to test for this paralysis, but it has not yet kicked in. However this mystery still remains inconclusive.

Another popular theory takes a more evolutionary approach to falling dreams, suggesting that the jerks are an ancient primate reflex to the relaxation of muscles just before sleep — the brain essentially misinterprets the relaxation as a warning connecting to the primate falling off of the tree. This causes the brain to react quickly by sending signals to the muscles.

How To Stop Falling Sensations

• avoid caffeine
  • do not oversleep
  • reduce stress
  • mediation
  • avoid stimulants
  • check medications for symptoms

Falling Dreams

#1. Losing Balance In Dream Meaning?

Dreams of losing balance are metaphoric in nature reminding you of your own lack of balance in life. Currently you may be unstable as you need proper grounding – a need to explore areas where you may be vulnerable or slipping that will cause a disturbance. The location and the people around you might give you a hint of what to look out for.

#2. Pushed In Dream?

A common dream is we are pushed by either an unknown person or someone you may currently know. These dreams are symbolic showing you that a person might be responsible for this lack of control or possibly yourself.

If you are unable to see the face of the person that pushed you might be connected to the shadow side of your personality. This is your neglected side or the unknown part that pushes you to your own troubles.

If you were pushing yourself to please other for example, this dream might be appropriate. If it was someone you may know they could be the person responsible or a reflection of someone who carries these similar traits.

This dream would imply you might be pushed to your limits. You could be a push over suggesting being to agreeable. Someone might catch you off guard.

#3. Lost Grip In Dream?

Trying to hold on for your dear life in your dream is a common occurrence. These dreams suggest a need for grounding in your life. You might feel a lack of control and it is unconsciously affecting your path.

You might want to explore different areas in your life where you feel you are just hanging on; or if you feel someone has the upper hand on you. You might need some more support in your life as you may experience a lack of control.

#4. Holding or Slipping In Dream

Holding on for dear life in your dream suggests that you are trying your best to fix a situation you may have no control over. This can either be with a relationship, friends or even your family.  It could also be connected to your emotions as you are trying to hold on before you crash.

Slipping and plummeting to your death is a quite a scary experience.  Slipping to your death suggests that you will eventually “slip up” in a particular situation that will cause emotional distress. Where you able to regain your grip? Did you fall to the ground? Where was your location? How did you feel when you slipped?

Trying to hold on for dear life at the edge or balancing on a cliff implies possible danger. Could it imply you live on the edge, or maybe you make risky decisions; hence being on the edge.  It’s quite possible you need some grounding physically and spiritually.

#6. Falling From A Building Dream

Buildings appear in our dream as things that have been previously built, metaphorically speaking relating to a new idea or project. It may also relate to your belief system, relationships, ideas, projects that has been “built” by you in the past. Falling from a building in your dream represents a loss of control or abandonment.

#7. Somebody Falling In Dreams

You might see the person who is falling as a metaphor for losing them in a particular way. You may feel the person is out of your control, or some other force has affected them. You might be witnessing distress from other people around you in your life.

Finding out who was with you, your emotional state and location are all clues to better decode the dream. If you feel helpless then it might imply you are not in control in helping others in danger.

#8. Falling Down A Staircase Dream

Stairs are symbolic in the sense as they show us advancement or progress in our lives. In this case falling down the stairs suggest you may experience a setback or delay in this area. If it was in your house could represent your mind/psyche in some personal development.

#9. Falling in water

Dreams about falling in water bring our attention to our emotional state of mind.  There could be a loss of control or unwillingly plunging into a part of yourself that makes you apprehensive.

#10. Landing at the bottom

This could suggest an ending of some sort of your life. Something where you might need to get to the bottom of things. Do you feel that you might hit rock bottom in life? Could this relate to your job or relationship?

Remembering how you fell on the ground can suggest what needs to be fixed in your life. If you fell on your back implies that you need more support in your life. If you fell on your hands means that you need more of a hand with people that are close to you.

If you fell in water means that you are emotionally breaking down and need to address your problem asap.

Spiritual Meaning Falling From Dreams

If you had the ability to land on your feet after the fall reflects overcoming a obstacle in your life. Falling then gliding yourself to safety shows you will find another way out of the difficult situation. Find out how to stop falling in your dream (r).

Quotes

“People who fall the hardest, bounce back the highest.” – Nishan Panwar.
“Just because we fell one time doesn’t mean we can’t get up and let our light shine.”
“When real people fall down in life, they get right back up and keep walking.

Falling dreams should never be overlooked especially if they are recurring. This dream could be unconsciously hinting at our insecurities and our beliefs in life . Though all falling dreams are not always bad symbols, but indications for us to open to change that is taking place.

Sometimes we need to hit rock bottom before we start a new stage. Dreams of this nature alert us to becoming more cognizant of our actions and behaviors in our life.

Famous dream analyst Carl Jung stated that falling is a warning as being too high in life, trying to impress others. This would be referring to the comparison to one’s neighbor as a benchmark for social class, or the accumulation of material goods. To fall in the dream would be perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.

Evangeline
10 years ago

i get the same drem every so often,
and im playing in this park in the leaves near fall time.
Then all of a sudden this angel, or lady with wings,appears and shes saying “its time to go now”. Then I get into this old fashioned car and drive up a mountain then , she counts down from 10 and i fall and i usuall
wake up at like 7 or 8.
What does this mean?

RC
RC
10 years ago

Hi, I don’t know why but when I was younger I kept dreaming about falling, however it was my own intention in the dream to do it. It’s like i knew it was a dream and i thought: “this dream is boring ill just throw myself over this cliff to end the dream” and always it immediately ended before touching the ground. I didn’t have any suicide thoughts or something and I dont remember much of what happened before throwing myself besides perhaps 2 people talking with each other with me watching them. Also i think sometimes i was flying… Read more »

Destinee
Destinee
10 years ago

i keep havimg this dream that im killing my dad then loosing my balance and falling into a black hole and the kife slices though my leg what can this mean

destinee
destinee
10 years ago

my relationship with my father is horrible he is so rude and mean to me so i stopped going to his house and thats when these dreams started

Adria
Adria
10 years ago

I had a dream that I was swinging on a swing and when I let go to jump off I went soaring in the air like 4,000 feet and it was a long fall and right before I hit I woke up??? What does that mean

Taylor
Taylor
10 years ago

I have falling dreams almost every night. Usually I fall off of a very high cliff and fall for minutes. I fall to my death and when my body hits the bottom I wake up by my body jumping. Can this give me a heart attack or anything and how do I stop them? I have had hundreds off them

Alica
10 years ago

I was dreaming about a couple of things which lead to me walking up these stairs, I was not paying attention so when I got to the top I was about to walk down the stairs and realized the stairs were really tiny, to small for my feet to maneuver without falling. There were bigger stairs further down below and I was afraid to jump down. So I decided to go into the building that was on the top where I was. All of a sudden as I turned around to walk towards the door all the stairs were gone… Read more »

Jennifer '
Jennifer '
10 years ago

I be having these dreams at times, that I’m walking and I lose my balance and right when I’m going to fall, I feel like I’m actually moving on bed like if I fell and I wake up :/

Diana
Diana
10 years ago

I’ve had many dreams of falling off a cliff but always jerked and woke up until the one night I dreamed I fell off the cliff and hit the ground. In the dream, my body felt like it had actually hit the ground, horribly painful and felt like my body had exploded on impact. When I jerked awake, physically I felt like I had hit the ground, every muscle in my body hurt and it was difficult to move for a few minutes from the pain. My heart was racing and I had a bad headache. It was so severe… Read more »

sarah
sarah
10 years ago

I had a dream that all of the people in my class (10th grade) were skiing down a hill, and the hill was a complete drop off and people were flying over the edge, and then die and i didnt catch on to the fact that everyone was dying when they hit the ground untill i was in mid air, this dream is really scaring me and its reaccuring. What could this mean?

Carly
Carly
10 years ago

Falling in myself has become more & more frequent thing…. I’ll close my eye literally to 5 minutes & wake up because I fell

jeanette
jeanette
Reply to  Carly
10 years ago

I had a dream bout falling in a very dark place. what does ths mean??

Bailey
Bailey
10 years ago

Okay, my falling dream isn’t one that scares me! It’s the complete opposite! It really rather excites me! To start they where dreams that I was jumping into water next to a ridiculously high waterfall! I have every amazing sensation of freefall, then a slight feeling of oh my god am I going to make it?! But then I hit the water and everything is fine again! But for some strange reason I get to the point I jumped from by flying up into the sky, Mich higher than the point I originally started! Then comes the “am I going… Read more »

Abby
Abby
10 years ago

I had a falling dream that someone pushed me and I was falling down a puzzle type thing and I was struggling not to hit them on my way down. It freaked me out and it happened like 2 weeks ago and I still remember it clearly. It’s scaring me and I have had similar dreams like this one where I’m falling and things are trying to hit me or hurt me on my way down and I get pushed everytime by the same guy, who doesn’t even look fromiliar. I don’t know how to stop this type of dream… Read more »

Ashley
Ashley
10 years ago

I have dreamt that I would be falling but there would be no ground or anything around me.But then I hit the ground and it feels so real, it feels bumpy and hard and when I look back up I see nothing but black.What does that mean?

Bria
Bria
10 years ago

i have dreams almost every night that im walking and i lose my balance and right when i hit the ground i wake up. this happens almost every nightand i hate it because it scares the crap ou of me. 🙁

Izzii
Izzii
Reply to  Bria
10 years ago

Hi I have the same dream but I am half asleep and I think it might be because I told someone who I thought was mt friend abou the boy I have a crush on and thewy told him and now I feel like I can’t do anything bout it! Don’t worry! 🙂 X <3 x

M
M
10 years ago

I like falling dreams. I like the sensations. I LOVE nightmares.

wade
wade
Reply to  M
10 years ago

k i had a falling dream but my mom fell we were in some weird valley and it was really foggy and she was hanging off the cliff but i was to far away (im thinking maybe it was cuz i was in foster care at the time) and she fell but i wasnt freaking out it felt like i knew she was going to be alright, so i ran and then i had a teddy bear in my hand?? And i threw it down but i cant remember what i it was i said tho? I know i said… Read more »

destinee
destinee
Reply to  M
10 years ago

@M You are a freak those dreams freak me out

James
James
Reply to  M
9 years ago

Ha i even get that feelin in my stomach that u get when you are on a rollercoaster and it drops all of a sudden. I always wake up thinking that’s was crazy how I could get that feeling even though it was in a dream

Aubrey
Aubrey
10 years ago

OK so i keep having these dreams where im falling doing flips and everything and i cant find out why i am having these dreams i had a dream last night and i didnt even fall off of anything i just was falling and falling and falling it hurts so bad because its like i can feel the pain b4 i even hit the ground omg i hate how bad they hurt i used to even have these dreams when i was little wht could my dream last night mean

Amber
Amber
Reply to  Aubrey
10 years ago

I have the same that happens to me but once I hit its like I have to keep going…and like go to work or keep on with everyday life. And.i am in so much pain during the dream and I hurt throughout the day after I have that dream….if u find anything let me know

Nat
Nat
10 years ago

I am in a new relationship. I am 22 and he’s 26. I dreamt that I was a little girl and there were these rock caves that were full of water and people would go rock climbing and play in the water. one night I went to those caves by myself and never came back. No one knew what happened to me for awhile until they found my broken decaying body. Because of the water in the caves all the rocks were slippery and when I was playing I lost my footing and tumbled to my death. What do you… Read more »

Bane
Bane
Reply to  Nat
10 years ago

I ALWAYS hit the ground when I have a family dream, and my dream would never end, I wouldn’t wake up. I would continue to dream about something else. I got to the point where I wanted to dream of falling because the sesation of hitting the ground was like a high.

chris
10 years ago

drempt about driving my car over a cliff. I was with my current girlfriend, she was the passenger. I was driving down a dark road that actually just turned into a cliff. This was right after a tough fight with my girl. Nuts, it felt so real.

Jessica
Jessica
Reply to  chris
9 years ago

Hi I’ve had a very similar dream to yours! Except I was with my sister. She was driving and I was in the passenger seat. We fell off of what seemed to be like a parking structure that was very modern..but my sister drove us off of the edge bcuz we were distracted..I’m not sure what this means?

Justin
Justin
10 years ago

I had a falling dream where me and my two best friends were rock climbing together, which is very weird because i hate rock climbing, and I had gotton to the top of the climbing wall and on the other side there was a steep roof, like really steep. I got to the top and I dont know what happend next but i was suddenly falling head first and I landed on my head and I woke up:(

Jonthan
Jonthan
10 years ago

I have fell off a mountain and I’ve landed on my shoulder what does it mean

Haley
Haley
Reply to  Jonthan
9 years ago

I land on my shoulder/ side in my falling dreams too! I would like to know what that means…

josh
josh
Reply to  Jonthan
9 years ago

i dreamewd i was in this house and some guy knoked me out from behind and i woke up with that feeling that someone hit me in the bakk of my head wut does that mean?

1 2 3 7